Mitigating Stress this Holiday Season
Increasing Resiliency with Positive Experiences
Although the holidays can look and feel a little bit different this year, there is still an opportunity to cultivate positive experiences this holiday season. The more we actively try to create positive experiences, the more likely we are to bounce back from stressors.
Here are some tips to help get you started.
- Create a list of “Things I’m grateful for…” that you can read every morning and every night.
- Find some uplifting quotes that can inspire you.
- Be mindful of the small wonderful things that happen throughout your day.
- Close your eyes for a few moments and go to your happy place.
- Write down positive affirmations that give you motivation and strength.
- Look at a photo that brings a smile to your face or reminds you of a happy memory.
Managing Stress During the Holidays
The holidays can be a wonderful time of year, but it can also be a source of stress. From organizing to shopping to dealing with difficult family members.
Here is a short guide to help you manage your stress.
- Dedicate time to do something that you enjoy, like reading a book, listening to music, taking a warm bath, or even drawing.
- Relax your muscles by tensing and relaxing each large muscle group, starting with the forehead and working down.
- Try a deep breathing exercise
- Tell yourself positive affirming statements
- Stretch your muscles
- Get out and exercise
- Imagine very relaxing scenes of a calming and safe place